Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Piggy Bank

Mark and I were trying to figure out what to do for Valentine's Day.  I had been wanting to go to Firehouse Pottery because I had heard good things, so I told him that I thought that would be fun.  I didn't really know what I wanted to make, so I looked on their website.  I saw that they had piggy banks, so I thought it was PERFECT because I wanted to get one for Boyd.  I thought a personalized one would be even better!

We went on one of my many snow days, and we had a lot of fun!  Mark picked out the base color and painted the three base coats, and the rest was pretty much up to me.  I was going to try to use stamps or stencils, but it ended up being easier to just draw everything by hand.  I used a circle brush to make the basketball and baseball circles, but then I just painted the lines.

I am BY FAR not a creative person, so I was very nervous!  I actually really enjoyed myself, and I think it turned out really cute :)

This is one of the sides.  I had the football and couldn't figure out what else to put on it, and a friend of ours, Brittany, suggested the goal post.  What a great idea!


I wrote his name on the back, but as you can see it's not very even.  Oh well...it's handmade!!  I told you I'm not creative (or artistic!!!)


The other side was pretty easy because I already knew what I wanted to do.  His room is sports-themed, so it was easy to decide that we wanted basketball, baseball, and football on his piggy bank.  


The front of Mr. Piggy was what we struggled with the most.  I wasn't going to do anything with the facr, but now I realize that it would have been pretty boring if I had left it all one color.  Mark thought I should paint it's snout a different color, so we looked at some examples on the shelf.  We found one that looked similar to the one below.  We just changed to a darker blue and then put black dots around the snout and ears.  I think it turned out really cute!


I was very nervous about painting since I have no artistic ability, but the people at Firehouse Pottery are so great and help you out if you have any questions.  They will also help you decide what to do if you are clueless (like I was) and they help guide you through the process.  I can't wait to go back and make something else!!

No comments:

Post a Comment